Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Football fanaticos

I am definitely living in a country that is crazy about soccer. Tonight Chile is playing an important game against Uruguay. I'm not sure why it is important, I just know it is because that's what I've heard and the game was on all the TVs at work and in front of each one gathered a crowd of mostly men. While I was walking home from work, when I was maybe a block away from my apartment building, I suddenly heard crowds of people shouting and clapping, from at least four different places around me. "Oh, Chile must have scored," I thought. When I heard someone shout GOOOOOOAAAAAAAL! my hypothesis was confirmed. Later, while I was talking to my dad on Skype another goal was scored by Chile, and my dad could here the shouts, just from my window being open. It never ceases to amaze me just how important games can be to some people. Sports (especially soccer in most of the world) certainly have the power to unite a country, at least for a couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment