Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Yes, I climbed a volcano

I can´t write for long because I´m at the hostel in Pucon and there are other people who want to use the computer. But I had to write a quick update. Today I climbed to the top of the Vallarrica Volcano. It is 2847 meters high, and I´m not going to lie, it was not easy. In fact, I had to hold hands with one of the guides for some parts of the way when I was really struggling. But I´m okay with that, I am learning that sometimes it´s okay to ask and receive a little help.

It was for sure one of the most incredible experiences of my life, and right now I am so tired and still coming down from the high of the whole experience so unfortunately I can´t write so elequently right now. When I get home I will post pictures and maybe add some more thoughts.
But the main thing I want to share was just how overwhelming the feeling was when I finally got to the top. I was so happy I almost cried and I was so proud of myself for making it. And then, I looked around and I thought "Oh my God, my country is beautiful." The climb was totally worth it just for the view. You could see the Andes, hills, four lakes, a few different towns, it was incredible. I didn´t see any lava in the volcano, but there was a whole lot of smoke which was pretty cool.

Alright well I promise to right some better thoughts when I get back to Santiago, I just wanted to share some of my excitement. And here´s my advice, if you ever find yourself with the opportunity to climb a volcano in Chile or anywhere, do it!

1 comment: