Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Technology

It really feels like technology in general has conspired to work against me, at least when I try to use it teaching. I know that I shouldn't complain about this because I am lucky to even have technology available, and I know my generation is definitely spoiled as far as that's concerned. But I can't help it, I am getting frustrated with the constant failure of technology. I also am fully aware I shouldn't put all my faith in it and have "old fashioned" activities planned (what would that even be?) but quite frankly, I desperately want to use things like music and youtube. The fact is, the majority of my students have no interest what so ever in English class, and to be honest, I don't really blame them, it can be boring. We follow the book pretty closely which works for some, but most of the kids give up because they are lost. The book is pretty advanced so for those who don't understand, they are just left behind. And they get bored. I mean, I understand what's going on, and I get bored. So I really don't blame them, I understand. And since all I want to do is try to get a few more kids interested in learning English, I am trying so hard to think of interesting ways to do this. And I really think the best way would be to use pop culture, because that's what they know, that's what interests them (I am talking about the 7th and 8th graders. With the 5th and 6th graders games and visuals like flash cards work fine, but not with the older ones).

Now here's why I am frustrated. Nothing freaking works in my school. Many times now I have planned great lessons (well maybe not great, but good in my opinion, at least interesting) using the internet, or even just a CD player, and every single time technology has failed me. It's frustrating because we do have the internet. And it always works for me in the teacher's lounge and any other time I don't need it. But as soon as I go to use it in class, it fails me. Today I was about ready to scream at the wireless connection. I worked really hard on this presentation about the history of dance in popular American culture (complete with many youTube videos to watch) and I tested it in my classroom and it worked. Until it was time to do the class, when of course, the signal disappeared. So I went into another room where the other signal is used and it worked right up into the kids came. So frustrating!! Even the CD player has failed me (which I know I have already written about). I can't even use a slideshow because none of the five projectors we have in the school work. Seriously, what do teachers do to make their lessons interesting?

It frustrates me more when I talk to other volunteers, because pretty much all of those I've talked to have access to at least speakers and a CD player or a projector that works. So really, I am running out of ideas. I just don't know how to get these kids interested after everything I try fails due to circumstances out of my control. There's only so much you can do with handouts and games. Plus, none of the printers in my life are working at the moment anyways. The program was supposed to send us a box of supplies full of things like cardboard and markers which would be nice to have, but I have yet to see that box, and I am well into my second month here. I'm just not sure how they expect me to do anything interesting when I have absolutely nothing to work with. My charm can only take me so far, the novelty of me has pretty much already worn off. I guess I just need to get brainstorming.

I really am sorry people reading this have had to read so much negativity. I don't know what's going on. For the most part I am quite happy with all going on in my life. I suppose I am just using this blog as a forum to rant right now, since I figure my life isn't as interesting now that I'm not traveling anymore. Here's my promise: the next post will be happy, witty, or something funny at least. My parents are coming to La UniĆ³n tomorrow so that's something happy. And we are going on a little trip this weekend so I should have something nice to say about that.

1 comment:

  1. Since I'm the last person who should be a teacher I don't have many ideas. But maybe you could pick scenes from DVDS you have access to (if you have access to DVDs... if not maybe I could mail you some?) and then use the DVD player on your computer? As long as you have electricity, that should work, though the images would be pretty small. j
    My other suggestion is email Hy for some advice. He looooves thinking up activities for kids.
    Tell your parents hi!

    ReplyDelete