Saturday, January 15, 2011

First week in Arequipa

I've already been here almost a week, 3 more to go. I can't believe how quickly it's gone by already. I survived my first week at the orphanage, apparently it only gets easier. I do feel like I am starting to learn my way around. Yesterday I got to hang out with the kids without the babies for the first time and it was great. I let them play with my hair which may have been a mistake, I think I definitely lost some. They are a lot of fun, I've missed hanging out with kids. I have also learned how to use cloth diapers. I wouldn't call myself an expert yet, but I can manage. I am definitely learning some valuable skills.

Today I went whitewater rafting with some people from my house and it was so much fun. I managed to avoid falling off the raft although there were a few close calls. About halfway through the trip we stopped at an area that was a bit deeper and got to jump off this big rock, that was great. It was funny because I was wearing a life jacket so I just popped back up right away. I had a great time though and it was nice to start to get to know some people in my house. Tonight we are planning on going out so I will get to check out the night life in Arequipa.

It has been a little strange transitioning back into a normal routine after traveling, and I definitely miss traveling, but I am still enjoying myself and it's nice to get experience Peru in this way and meet lots of nice people.

No comments:

Post a Comment