Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My life is: having over 200 kids notice every little thing about me

Today I decided to go to school with straight hair, something I do very rarely. And usually whenever I straighten my hair, I get a reaction out of people, just because it looks different. And I was definitely expecting a reaction from my students due to the following factors: a.) kids in general tend to be very observant b.) Chileans in general (beyond just the kids) tend to be very observant and c.) Chileans have no problem sharing all their observations with you - good or bad. So I was prepared. Even so, I was still thoroughly entertained by what a big deal it was that I had straight hair for a day. Of course the kids gave me their feedback (I think that's a funny word to use in relation to something as trivial as a hairstyle, but it's the best I can think of), and most of it was positive and all of it was honest. Something I really love about my students (and really, most Chilean people that I know) is that they are always so genuine. Some gave me hugs and told me how beautiful I looked, others told me I looked better with straight hair, and then others disagreed with that sentiment. One kid told me I looked sick. When I walked into one class a group of boys made a huge deal, showering me with compliments, carrying my stuff, pulling out the chair for me (all of this was done with quite a bit of shouting, they are kind of a crazy group). Regardless of what they thought, I was laughing almost the entire day as I walked around, inciting these various reactions just because I had changed my hair just a little bit. Sometimes these kids really do make me feel like a rock star. One would think that the excitement of me being here would have died down by now, and for some it has. But then there are always kids showering me with questions, compliments, giving me treats (once a boy pulled a muffin out of his pocket that he had been carrying around especially for me), writing me letters, etc. I don't think it has much to do with me, I'm honestly not that exciting, I think it's just how they are. They are genuinely affectionate, brutally honest, excited, rowdy, loving kids. And I am loving getting to know them. I know I am supposed to be teaching them, but at this point I am realizing, that this is one of these situations where maybe they are teaching me more, and I totally embrace that.

1 comment:

  1. Ahahahha. I like to imagine, "Miss Neer Miss Neer! You look sick!"

    ReplyDelete