Saturday, July 30, 2011

Last Day

Well, this is it. Today I leave Chile to return home after almost one year away. Of course I am feeling a poutpourri of emotions, but above all I feel happy and blessed. I am so glad to have seen what I've seen, to have met so many wonderful people, to have had so many great experiences, to have learned so much. I wouldn't change a single moment, I don't have one single regret, which is a fantastic feeling. I will forever cherish the memories I am taking with me; of time spent with family (including my new family in La Unión), my time spent teaching so many great (although challenging at times) kids, the time spent at the orphange and getting to know the beautiful, rich culture of Perú, and of course the time spent traveling. I feel so lucky to have been able to see so much, experience so much, learn so much. This past year has far exceeded my expectations in so many ways. It has been wonderful, but, I have accomplished all that I have wanted to from the beginning-- learned Spanish, gotten to know some of my family better, lived and worked as a Chilena, traveled, volunteered, experienced new cultures-- so it is time for me to return home.

And it is time to begin a new chapter in my life, which I am very excited about. I will be moving to Los Angles, California, where I hope to begin focusing on developing a career in the non-profit sector working for a cause I strongly believe in. I am looking forward to the nice weather, the new friends, a new job (hopefully soon), all the new learning experiences to come. But one thing is for sure, I will return to Chile. I don't know when, or for how long, but those details don't matter right now. I just know that there is no way that I won't come back. I have too many loved ones here, and I am leaving a bit of myself here in Chile, for now I feel more Chilena than I ever have and I know I will always feel at home here. I have truly come to love this country, for all her beautiful landscapes, for the proud, generous, and loving people that inhabit her, for the richness in culture and nature, even for her faults. Chile, I will truly miss you. But this is not goodbye for long. Hasta luego, mi Chile querida, o sea, hasta pronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment