Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Back to Chile

I´ve made my return to Chile safely, I´m currently in Iquique, a beach town in the desert of the north. On Sunday, after a slightly complicated border crossing, I arrived to Arica. The town itself was nothing special, very industrial. But it saddened me because it has potential to be beautiful. It´s in the desert on the coast, beaches surrounded by huge sand dunes, some interesting architecture and lovely weather. But the beaches are covered in garbage. And I mean covered. The river that runs into the ocean is just straight brown. I watched a boy throw a candy wrapper into it. This kind of treatment of our planet saddens me beyond belief. I just can´t understand.
Yesterday I took a bus to Iquique. I like it here, it´s very pretty. It´s a bit touristy and the beaches are crowded, but very nice. And the downtown is really nice too. I think today I am going to try to visit Pica, the oasis town nearby.
It´s nice to be back in Chile, it feels familiar to me. I like that I fit in here a bit more, it´s easier to pass for a Chilean than a Peruvian, obviously. The food is familiar, I ate an empanada on the beach and I was so happy, after trying empanadas ini 4 countries I maintain my favorite are in Chile. Same with the manjar. I guess it feels kind of like being home in a way. I am very much enjoying my chance to explore the north.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh! I'm so pleased to hear that Chile has the best empanadas!

    ReplyDelete