Monday, February 14, 2011

Last Week

In the midst of my last week at the orphanage, of course I'm starting to feel a bit sad, as well as reflective. Every since returning from the beach, I have just started feeling closer to the kids, as if they have opened up a bit more with me and began trusting me more. It breaks my heart that I have to leave them. And probably if I didn't have a job waiting for me in Chile, I probably wouldn't be leaving, at least not until I absolutely had to. When I orginally planned to come here, a month seemed like a long time to stay in one place, especially a place where I had no previous attachment to. But now, going into my sixth week, it doesn't feel like enough time. It takes just that time to start to feel truly comfortable and settled in a place. It takes that much time to begin to form meaningful relationships with others. So now I am wishing I had a bit more time.

I have come to really enjoy living in Peru. Living in Chile for me, was different, I have more of an emotional attachment to Chile of course, my pride for the country flows through my veins. But Peru, I had no personal attachment to whatsoever. I kind of ended up here by fluke, I knew essentially nothing about the country and its people before I arriving. But now I have a deep appreciation for its culture, its food, its resourcefulness of its people, its rolling, expansive, land. But I have a feeling I will be back here someday. I would really like to come back to Casa Hogar someday. Although, if I do, I sincerely hope that the same children will not be there.

So I am taking my last week in stride. I feel so grateful that I have had this opportunity to come here, spend time with some awesome kids, meet some wonderful people, and get to know a great culture.

1 comment: