Saturday, February 19, 2011

Goodbye Arequipa, Hasta Luego Perú

My last day at the orphanage came and went, as I predicted, it was very difficult to say goodbye. But I had a wonderful last day. They made me a special lunch (camotes, yum), I was given the honor of sitting at the head of the table, and they gave me a nice gift of some jewelery made by Marco, the guy who is charge of all the washing. Right before I left some of the kids perfomed Peruvian dances for me, which was adorable. My friend took a video which I will try to post at a later date. It was not easy saying my goodbyes, I felt a little like my heart was breaking. I know these kids have to say goodbye a lot to volunteers, and it doesn't seem like it ever gets any easier for them. I hate that they have to say goodbye so much. But, as many of them poited out, Chile isn't that far away, so maybe someday I can come back for a visit. I have a feeling that I will.

A new baby arrived the day I left, he's one and a half years old and absolutely adorable with his hip haircut and warm smile. I'm sad I didn't get to know him, but even more sad that he's there in the first place.

Overall, the last six weeks have been some of the best of my life. I have never enjoyed going to a place that I was "working" at so much. Every day I wanted to go in, and that was a new feeling for me. And of course I got attached to the kids, how could you not? I also met some really great people while being here, learned about other cultures, and made some really good friends, friendships that I know are going to continue on despite the distance. Casa Hogar, as well as Traveler Not Tourist, are places that are so full of love and support, it was an absolute joy for me being here. Even though it rained almost every day. I still woke up each day happy to be where I was, happy to be living my life. Of course I hope that I will continue to feel that sense of happiness. but I think I will, I think it mostly comes from being able to do what I want to do. And I've just learned so much about what I need to feel happy. It's not all that much really, just good people, good food, and a good attitude.

It's almost 3 in the morning and at 4.30 AM I will get on a bus that will take me to Tacna, and from there I will cross the border to Arica. I plan to spend the night in Arica, then Monday morning I will head to Iquique. After a day or two hanging at the beach and hopefully checking out the oases towns nearby this desert beach town, I plan to take a bus to Chanaral, Chile so that I can visit the Parque Nacional Pan Azucar, a coastal park, where you can see some wildlife such as penguins and dolphins. After that I will head down to La Serena then visit the birthplace of Gabriela Mistral, the famous poet. From there I will go to Cachagua, a beach town where I will stay with some family friends for a few days. Then it's back to Santiago and hello to my friend Sue! This of course is just my rough plan. Since I am traveling alone, it's definitely possible it will all change. But it's clear I have a lot to look forward in the coming weeks.
As much as I wish I could stay here in Arequipa a little longer, I must accept that my time has come to an end. It's been great and I will always treasure this experience. And as the old cliche goes, when one door closes another one opens. It's time to begin yet another chapter in my travel adventure story...

1 comment:

  1. You're a badass for doing so much traveling alone. Safe trip love!

    ReplyDelete