Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Going to a new home

It's 3:30 in the morning and I really should be sleeping seeing as tonight was a long day and tomorrow is probably going to be even longer, but there is this woman in my room in the hostel who snores just so loud that i can't possibly sleep. So here I am, sitting in the lounge after a middle of the night shower, so I figured I would take some time to update.

This week has been good in a lot of ways. Sue has been here, one of my best friends, and it's been SO NICE to see someone from home. I have met lots of great people the past six months, it's true, but everyone has been coming in and out of my life, so it's great to see someone who is a more permanent fixture in my life. It's been very comforting, and we've had a great time. Hopefully she hasn't been too intimidated by the culture, the intense hospitality provided by my family, and how freakin fast they talk. I think maybe how fast they talk has intimidated her a bit, but she's been doing a great job with the spanish. Chileans are just very difficult to understand sometimes.

So this week I've been lucky enough to have her here, and tomorrow she leaves, which is sad. But then, I also leave tomorrow. And I only found out today!! So today has been quite crazy, especially inside my head.

All week I've had orientation for the English Opens Doors program which I will be participating in until the end of July, and it's been good. There are over 60 volunteers from around the world (although most people come from the states) who have come to Chile to teach English. The week has involved a lot of sitting, listening to presentations, and microteaching; which is to be expected from an orientation. Today, and at the very end of the day, we found out where we are going. But all we know so far is the name of the town and when we leave. I still know nothing about the family I'm staying with, or what age I am teaching, or the school I will be working at. But I do know that I will living in a town called La Uníon in the region Los Rios. Feel free to look it up online if you want to know more! Because I honestly know nothing, except that it is in the south, and that tomorrow night I will get on a bus for 11 hours or so which will take me there. I will not be the only volunteer in the town, there will be one other, which disappointed me a bit, I did kind of want to be totally immersed in English, but it will be fine.

So there you have it, tomorrow I move on to my new home. I am mostly excited, not too nervous, but I do wish I was sleeping right now. I will definitely be arriving sleep deprived. Ah well, there's always time to sleep later, like when I'm dead. Or so they say, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment