Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Striking a balance


This morning I just had one class, which was nice because I had time to come home and workout and I still have plenty of time until I have to be back at school at 2:30. And after teaching the sixth graders this morning, I seriously needed that workout to blow off some steam. I was saying that the eighth graders were the most difficult to teach this week, but I change my mind. The sixth graders take the cake. I could just not get them to listen. They were constantly talking, even shouting and I had to raise my voice just to be heard. I hate shouting, and I know it's not the best way to manage a classroom, but I was feeling helpless and I just didn't know what else to do. Even though today was a total failure in classroom management, I would still say the lesson was a success. Amongst all the talking, I could tell that most of the kids were still learning, and almost all of them were participating. It definitely helped when I broke out the stickers. I really hope stickers don't lose their charm, they are somewhat of a life saver.

What I am really struggling with right now is figuring out how much Spanish to use in the classroom. I know I am supposed to speak entirely in English, but, because the kids know I can speak Spanish, it is just not possible to never use Spanish. So often they will just tune out when I give instructions in English and then beg for the Spanish version. I know I need to continue using English because it will help them learn more, but at the same time, sometimes using Spanish helps me to better control the class. They seem to listen better when I speak in Spanish, and seem to give me a bit more respect. Although today, a few of the kids laughed when I made a mistake and one child corrected me. I didn't mind the correction, I actually appreciate being corrected, but the laughing definitely got to me. I tried to explain, as calmly as I could, that I am learning Spanish, just as they are learning English, and that it is normal for me to make mistakes, just as they do when speaking English. I told them that we could help each other to learn, and that was the whole point of me being there. A pretty good speech, I thought, although, I know not all of them were listening. I know it's only my first week and hopefully the classroom management will get better. During the orientation the former volunteers all said that this was the most challenging aspect of the job. But right now, for me, I think the biggest issue is finding the right balance of speaking in English and Spanish so that the students understand me, are learning, but also will want to listen and not just tune out right away because they think they won't understand. So that will be my first goal.

In other news, finally, my computer works with the internet. So I can begin sharing photos again, yay! I haven't taken all that many of my town yet, but here are few of some places I have seen since being here.
This sign welcomed me when I first arrived to my house.

My host sister Victoria.

Hanging out in front of Rio Bueno. This is a part of the river where people come and swim when it's warm enough.


With Ana, the teacher I work with. She took me to see Lago Ranco, a large lake in the area, about half an hour away from La Union.

1 comment:

  1. Your job sounds very hard, but I know you can do it. Also you look cold in these pictures, and it's not even winter yet! Uh oh. I'm glad my mom is bringing me a winter coat when she comes to visit in May.

    ReplyDelete