Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mision Cumplida, Chile

They did it! 33 rescued miners, safe and healthy. I got home just in time to watch the final miner be pulled from the mine. And of course I stayed up late last night to watch the first couple of miners be rescued. Right now, from my apartment I can hear lots of horns honking and people shouting. The city of Santiago, along with the rest of the country, is celebrating. It has truly been an amazing event. I think this shows what human beings are capable of when we combine unity, cooperation, hard work, and a lot of faith. The dedication and support that came from the rescue workers, the families, the President and his government, and all the Chileans who came together with faith and pride absolutely amazes me. I feel proud to be a citizen of Chile; as a country, we have demonstrated how it is possible to unite and overcome such a terrible event. Also, I just feel proud to be a citizen of the world, because I know that people from all over the world have contributed their expertise and support throughout the rescue. This rescue to me is a miracle. Before the miners were found to be alive, I remember talking to my mom about this, and we both thought, there's no way they were going to survive, to us it was already a tragedy. I'm so glad we were proven wrong.

I am listening right now to President PiƱera talk and I am touched by how he is clearly feeling overwhelmed with pride and emotion. He talked about how now, Chile is more united and stronger than ever. He said that Chile has proven it's strength to the world despite being a small country that is so isolated as it is surrounded by ocean and mountains. This small country has earned respect from the rest of the world. Of course, no country is perfect, but Chileans are very proud people and rightfully so. I am amazed by all the trials and hardship this small country has managed to overcome. I am so happy and proud to be able to call Chile my second home.

1 comment:

  1. I just want to express my love for you in a public forum. Reading your blog is one of the biggest treats of my day.(the other big one usually being french fries).

    ReplyDelete