Thursday, October 7, 2010

Working

After day four of the new job, things are finally starting to take shape and make sense. The first few days were a little crazy, the company hired a whole bunch of new teachers and there is some kind of huge new project happening which caused management to be all over the place. It was a little frustrating being new because nobody seemed to know what was going on and a lot of times there was nothing for us new teachers to do. But now I have taught three classes so far, I passed my observation, and I have a clearer idea of what I am supposed to do. Today I was assigned two morning classes that involve me traveling to the offices of some companies to teach. That should be interesting, plus it pays more, so I am happy about that.

I do like teaching adults. It is a lot easier than teaching four and five year olds. Adults are very good listeners, they sit still, and they are enthusiastic to learn; they are there because they want to be. However, they aren't quite as much fun in some ways, and it's definitely a lot less physical. I can't be so silly with adults. And I miss the cute things kids say. But I am definitely enjoying it. Today a student gave an example that made me smile: "The teacher who learns me is very beautiful." My first reaction was to correct him "It's teaches not learns," and then I realized what he said and I was like oh, I like that sentence. Almost as cute as things I used to hear from the little ones.

I am enjoying living in Santiago, I really like taking the Metro because it's so nice. It's much cleaner than the el, and you rarely have to wait longer than a minute for a train to come. Plus it's easy to use. I definitely haven't figured out my way with buses yet, though. Not sure if I ever will as I am hopeless with directions most of the time.

Here's something funny about Santiago: for some reason business owners think it's a good idea to be right next door to their competition. For example, there might be a store that sells glasses. And next to that store another store selling glasses. And next to that one? You've guessed it, another glasses store. And this could continue for an entire block. I have seen a section full of stores that sell party supplies, a block of bookstores, a block of butchers, and so on. But definitely the most interesting was the huge shopping mall that was three floors of only beauty shops and tattoo parlors. Literally every single store in that mall was a beauty shop or tattoo place, but mostly beauty shops, and somehow they all had customers. I find this really strange; as a customer, how are you supposed to decide which store to go into when every store in the immediate area is selling exactly the same thing? Or you could just walk down the street and you are bound to find what you need. One thing about Chile, there is always someone selling stuff. Everywhere. I guess it's good when you find yourself suddenly in need of a pair of sunglasses or a keychain or a celery and carrot salad. You just never know.

2 comments:

  1. i want to see pictures of a strip of hardware stores, pet stores and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Laurel. Also I think it sounds like a great idea. I think it would be easier to figure out who has the best celery and carrot salad when all salad shops are right next to each other.

    ReplyDelete