Sunday, September 12, 2010

chile is turning me in to a night person

It's after 2am and I am still awake. This is not like me! At least the United States version of me. But the Chilean version of me definitely stays awake past 10:30. It's just what everyone I know here does, including my cousin's 9 year old son. Even on school nights! And yes, I know that makes me sound lame. But hey, I used to enjoy going to bed early.

Here are some updates:
-I made flyers advertising that I will teach English to individuals or groups. Haven't gotten around to putting them up yet, but there are already a few people interested, just through word of mouth, so that's good!
-My aunt that I live with got really sick yesterday and ended up having to go to the hospital today. Turns out she had some kind of infection, we suspect that some moldy cheese she accidently ate on Friday just might be the culprit. Hopefully she will feel much better after a good nights rest.
- I now feel comfortable enough to go out in the town and do things on my own like go to the bank, buy a cell phone, buy bread. These things are a big deal to me.
-On Wednesday I get to go pick up my carnet (which is a Chilean id card), then I will feel more official as a Chilean.
-Often times when I am introduced to people who are a bit on the older side (meaning they were hanging around in Rengo over 30 years ago), these people know who my parents are and remember their story. Everyone says I have my mom's eyes and the same voice as her. Also, people like to reminisce about my dad's hair in 1978-79 (a large, curly afro).
-Next Saturday in Chile's independence day, the government has officially declared three days of holiday (18th, 19th, and 20th). That means most stores (apart from maybe a few independently owned ones) will be closed for those three days. I keep trying to imagine what would happen if like Wal-mart closed for three days in the states. I think some people would FREAK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment