Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cachai?

Si, cachai. I think I am starting to talk a little bit more like a Chilean. and in my opinion, I've been making leaps and bounds of progress with the language. Still a long way to go, but when I think back to my first day here and how nervous I was (with good reason) I can confidently say progress has been made. I am currently reading a book in spanish and I'm actually understanding it and I am also really enjoying it! It's called Palomita Blanca written by Enrique Lafourcade, a Chilean author. The voice it's written from sounds exactly like a Chilean teenager talking. I think that's why I like it so much, it's very colloquial, easy for me to understand. Plus, I can't help but feel proud of the fact that I am halfway through a book in another language. I think that's pretty cool.

Tonight I went to see a play in San Fernando. Now I would be lying if I said I understood what was going on, because pretty much I had no idea. Well, I understood bits and pieces, and there were a few jokes that I laughed at because I actually got them. But, as plays are, it was very visual so it really didn't matter if you didn't understand the words. I was still able to somewhat follow the plot. And the costuming was really awesome. I don't feel so bad though because my cousin, who studied theater, told me that there were a lot of parts she didn't understand. She was maybe just saying that to make me feel better, but also, the actors spoke VERY fast.

Today I went to Rancagua to apply for a passport finally. I started thinking, what if something happened to someone in my family or something and I had to return to the US for an emergency, well I wouldn't be able to leave the country without a Chilean passport. So I finally went to take care of that and they told me it will be ready on Monday which is amazing to me! These things take 4-6 weeks in the states. How is it that it can be done so quickly here in Chile? I don't really know, but I'm glad. I think it's funny how confused the people who work in these offices are by me. I look Chilean, and then I open my mouth and have an accent, but then I have a carnet, but I say that I was born in the US. They are always like, oh ok you are from the US, but then oh wait, it says here on the computer you are Chilean too? I guess having dual citizenship isn't so common here. But I am always accepted as a Chilean, and that definitely feels good. No one ever says like, oh you weren't born here, you aren't a real Chilean. It's more like oh okay, your dad is American, your mom is Chilean, ok and you are Chilean too. The man I talked to in Rancagua today said I was as "chilean as porotos (beans)." If you are Chilean, this would make sense to you. It means that I am indeed Chilean, which really, by blood I am just as Chilean as I am American. What I'm trying to say is that I really feel accepted here, like I belong here too. And that's a nice feeling, I guess I wasn't really expecting that.

1 comment:

  1. My friend Hy, who you've met, has been living in Vietnam off and on for years now and he always talks about experiencing a similar reaction from strangers. Because of his clothes and haircuts he doesn't look like he's from Vietnam, but he can speak without an accent now so that makes it seem like he's from there... He loves to trick people.

    ReplyDelete