Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tired

Today I am finding it more difficult to listen. Learning another language is truly exhausting. It requires intense concentration, and I'm really beginning to feel tired. While I can definitely tell I am learning (at least a little bit more each day) it's not easy listening all the time and not always being able to share what I'm thinking. And my family is full of talkers. So I have to do a lot of listening. My dad told me that he picked up good listening skills while learning Spanish, and I can understand how that happens. For the most part I am content with this, but at certain moments, it can be frustrating when I can't come up with the certain words to express a thought. And to be a good listener, you have to show that you are listening, replying with the proper emotion, whether that be laughter, an empathetic sigh, or whatever. But at this moment I feel like I am running out of energy to power these "good listening" skills. I just need to sort of turn my brain off sometimes for a few minutes. Because listening to four or five people speaking Spanish rapidly all at the same time gives me a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment